Saturday, April 30, 2011

Another weekend... more gardening projects

After a week of wind and rain, the sun finally came out bright and strong this morning. We decided that we would tackle one of the three remaining gardens. The inspiration: the daffodils are starting to come up! After months of looking out the window to our dull landscape, the thought that soon we'll have cheerful yellow flowers out there was enough to get us gardening today. We had several inches of hay to remove, not to mention all that grass to deal with. 

We figured the best course of action was to cut up the "sod" around the flowers we wanted to keep, turn the sod squares over to dry out the soil. David would then shake out the squares to removed as much soils as possible and the grass & roots go to the trash. We're also going to mulch this garden, like the one we did last week, but first we want to plan & plant the garden.

Before: Our Hay-Filled Garden

The De-Constructed Garden

While David was tackling the English garden, I decided it was time to deal with the garden that at one time surrounded the back deck. Of course it's also overrun with grass, but I discovered last weekend that there is already edging in place. So, all that grass got turned over and shaken out. I also managed to plant 5 hosta bulbs (it was a variety pack, so I don't know what ones we'll end up with!). I also planted some morning glory seeds, to climb the deck fencing (purple & deep pink), and we picked up 4 dwarf dahlias (soft pink and white) to go next to the steps. I debated whether or not to plant them, but figured I could wait another week or two to make sure that the risk of frost has passed. 

So, things are starting to look better around here... now I just can't wait for everything to start blooming!

No comments:

Post a Comment